Tuesday, February 7, 2017

We Were Always There For You


Dwight survived his 27 years as a Dallas police officer despite being run over by a Cadillac, hit by a DART bus and shot at twice.

I’m 67 now, but look 80," he said. "I was proud when I was hired. Back then one out of ten who applied got hired. Even during the bad times, I was proud to be a brother in the best department in the country. I was proud that if the citizens called for help, I knew we would get there quickly and could handle any situation.”

Dwight served in Tactical, Southeast, Northeast and Southwest Divisions, Communication, General Assignments, Internal Affairs, Physical Evidence, Vice and Narcotics. He worked days, evenings and the late night shifts. He retired 16 years ago at the rank of captain.

In addition to his devotion to his law enforcement career, Dwight served as a church elder and Bible class teacher. Now in his retirement, he and his wife of 44 years, Jan, serve as Nana and Papa to  “30 or so kids at church with no grandparents close by.”

When Mayor Mike Rawlings proposed his plan to clawback money from retired first responders by confiscating their money and garnishing their pension checks, Dwight said he was horrified.

“I have been blessed with good health, and if push came to shove, I could go back to work,” he said. “I know people wouldn't be beating down the door to hire a 67 year old, but I am not too proud to do any honorable job. I know that I am the exception.”

“There are many of my generation who are broken down mentally and physically,” Dwight said. “Some are in wheelchairs, some are on walkers, and some don't even recognize their spouse due to Alzheimer’s. What will become of them?”
  
To the citizens, Dwight said he would tell them this: “We were always there for you when you needed us most. Please be there for us now that we need you the most.”

#PoundOfFlesh #savethepension #backtheblue #broken promises


No comments: