Friday, February 10, 2017

He Shouldn't Have To Beg

Editor's note: Here is another first responder that Mayor Rawlings and the city of Dallas wants you to believe is greedy, self-serving and overpaid.

Mike never flinched from gunfire.

In 1991, he and another officer were shot when they responded to a robbery call where a family was being held hostage. 

Doctors removed a .45-caliber bullet from his right hip, and to this day, he said, “I can always tell weather changes.”

He returned to patrol because “I had to get back and work with my co-workers who pulled my butt out of that shooting range.”

To Mike, being a police officer was “the best job ever. Your fellow officers are your second family for life.”

In 2001 and again in 2004, Mike faced gunfire, answering two shooting calls involving bank robbers. For his actions, Mike received The Medal of Valor.

“No police were shot in either of these, thank God,” he said, “as shots were fired literally all over the city.”

After 34 years, the second generation police officer retired in 2011. One of his sons is still a Dallas police officer.

In May of 2014, Mike was diagnosed with ALS.

“That’s a hard pill to swallow,” he said, “but my wife and I put our big pants on, and we've plowed ahead. Now, we hear our pension that the city helped set up is in trouble. We don't get social security and that has kept me from receiving disability and qualifying for early Medicare.”


“I'm not gonna beg for anything we haven't earned,” Mike said, “but my wife and I need what was promised.”

#PoundOfFlesh #savethepension #backtheblue #DPFP

1 comment:

Pat McKee said...

My husband of 56 years, Ira J. McKee, was shot with Mike in 1991. He had been in bad health for two years and passed away 4 1/2 months ago very proud that he left me in good shape because of DROP. He worked for 31 years as a police officer. It is very disheartening and stressful to think your financial situation is crumbling.
Pat McKee